If you are looking for a filling meal on the fast, then try this savory pumpkin Risotto with leek, onion garlic and fresh thyme. The aroma of the pumpkin, onion and garlic cooking is so mouth watering that it draws the family to the kitchen without even needing to call them to dinner!
PUMPKIN AND LEEK RISOTTO
Prep time: 20 min. Cook Time: 30 min. Serves: 8
1 baking pumpkin
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 c. onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 cup Aborrio rice
1 Tbsp. fresh Thyme
2 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
1 green onion (chopped for garnish)
- Throughly clean leeks as they tend to have sand in between their layers. Cut in half and slice whites and light green leaves into 1/4 inch slices. Discard the dark green leaves.
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds and pulp. Remove skin and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the Vegetable broth in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Add pumpkin pieces into pot and reduce heat to a slow boil. When the pumpkin is fork tender, remove with a slotted spoon into a bowl and set aside. Reduce heat to very low under broth.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil. Add onion and saute until soft and clear.
- Add garlic, leeks, thyme, salt and pepper, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir into other ingredients.
- Add Broth to rice one ladle full at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed into rice.
- Once you add the last ladle of broth, add pumpkin into the rice mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with chopped green onions and serve.